Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Vive Lyon

Bonjour from France!

So far I have been horrible about writing in this blog.  Reasons include: lack of free internet (it cost 4 EUROs! at the center.  4 euros!!!  Putain, I'm being ravaged by this euro-dollar exchange rate...),  writing in English hurts my French immersion, and lack of freetime.  Quand il n'y a pas de cours, je baladais sur les rues de Lyon, en regardant les francais qui me passent....
 I'm in love with my adopted city.  Lyon is a beautiful place, complex and nuanced.  Intersected by two large rivers au centre,  majestic stone buildings lead up to vieux lyon and the Cathedrel Basilique Notre-Dame de Fourviere, which overlooks the city.  (Pictures forthcoming).  My university, Universite Lumiere Lyon 2, a neoclassical building on the banks of the Rhone, is only a five minute walk from La Place Bellcour-the city center.  

Currently, we--as in the University of California Students--are being housed in the Centre International de Sejour a Lyon.  (CISL, or as Robert calls it: "Sizzle").   CISL is located in the 8ieme arrondissement, dubbed Lyon's "ghetto" by many.  This location poses a couple problems:  namely no restuarants within walking distance, with the exception of a horrible, horrible kebab place, and a supermarche across the street.  On the flip side, I can appreciate the 8ieme's diversity... It's heavily populated by French citizens of North African Muslim descent, as well as other African immigrants.  Not what you stereotypically consider "french", but an important part all the same.  I see many Muslim women qui porte la voile (where the veil) every day outside my bus stop.  Yesterday, A man wished me in french a happy ramadan at the supermarche???  (it must have been the necklace I was wearing).  On the bus, I always seem to sit next to the kid who blasts arabic an Rai music on his ipod.   Tellement j'aime la France.  Also, on the bus I have seen some of the most adorable babies eveer in my entire life.  I want to eat them.  And French baby talk is sooooooo cute....(note: see Ora's photogs for some adorable babies)

Last week, I met my apartment mate Sarah!!  Hopefully, as of this afternoon, we have an apartment...
Sarah invited me to her home in Grenoble for this past Shabbat, which was lovely.  Her mom was an AMAZING cook, and I ate pretty much a 4 course meal every night.  I also met some of Sarah's really cool friends, who were all so nice to me and expressed much excitement to meet a Jew from Los Angeles.   I can't wait for Sarah to indroduce me to her "potes" [<-slang for friends] in Lyon.  Sarah's cousin Emanuelle's mother offered to introduce me to a singer she knows in Lyon.  oh Jewish geography.....


Monday was the first day of our Intensive language program, that will last 2 weeks.  Walking around campus, I have the impression that everyone was staring at us, a loud group of Americans who definitely didnt fit in.  You know those groups of international students that wonder around UCLA in packs looking confused?  yep, that's me.  
I'm excited to move into an apartment and begin truly living, and hanging out with other French people.    As much as I love my group of American friends (Robert, Ora, Sahar, Victoria, Nilou etc),   when I'm alone, or with other French people,  I feel less like a stranger among strangers. (Holla, L'auberge espagnole!)

My allotted 3 hours of internet (for 4 euros,!!!! wtf) is about to run out, so this concludes my first actual blog post.  expect a more detailed one soon.  I miss you all!!

Bisous,

Mara

No comments: